Tuesday, June 10, 2008

RicStar's Camp Rocks!




For a number of reasons, I'm running way behind on my blogging efforts. I still have lots of good things to share/comment on from several recent events. But those ramblings will have to wait another week or two.

Right now, I need to talk about the pet project near and dear to my heart!

This week is all about my son's terrific camp: the 6th Annual MSU Eric 'RicStar' Winter Music Therapy Camp, of which I am co founder and co chair (copyrighted camp photos above by Eric's big sister, Jenna Winter). Part of the Community Music School, the outreach arm of the MSU College of Music, this amazing camp honors my son's terrific musical legacy, and his life, in the best way possible- by opening its doors and welcoming nearly 100 individuals of all ages with a wide range of special needs and immersing them in music.

Music meant everything to Eric, so this effort has proved a great way to honor his memory, while giving individuals with special needs a rare opportunity to experience firsthand the power of the arts and music therapy, something of which I am a huge fan (you can read my past post on music therapy on this blog). Research supports the power of music therapy to create positive changes in the lives of those with special needs.

RicStar's Camp is a fun-filled, three days of music making and movement, where the focus is on individual ability. Everyone is equal once they walk through our doors. Camp is already full again this year, but if you'd like to know more, visit my website: http://www.judywinter.com/ and click on RicStar's Camp, where you can also view the camp dvd.

Perhaps, you'll be inspired to begin a camp in your own hometown!

If you want to attend RicStar's Camp in 2009, I strongly suggest you sign up early!!! Scholarships are available to those showing need. We work very hard all year long to make sure that attending camp is possible for all. If you'd like to know more about supporting our scholarship efforts or volunteering visit: http://www.cms.msu..org/.

More about this year's wonderful event after the fact...

JudyWinter.com
Breakthrough Parenting for Children with Special Needs: Raising the Bar of Expectations
MySpace.com/judy_winter

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

Very cool photos and totally wonderful project. Can I see why you're behind in blogging? Oh, yeah -- and for all the right reasons! Hope it goes very well indeed!